Saturday, October 3, 2009

Day 5 Saturday 10-03-09

I left Traveler and Cory, and walked from camp to the I-5 south ramp. It was a long walk, but I did it nonstop. Then I kept on going down the road. I walked for another mile or so, in the rain, and got picked up.

First ride. I got picked up by a guy, seemed to me like he was in his early to mid twenties. He said that he always pickes up hitchhikers to help his Karma. He had to stop in town to do some errands, like drop off groceries at his parents house. His dad told me to come on in, so I went on it... He made me a huge 3/4 pound burger, and it was delicious. The son had just bought a brand new pair of shoe laces to replace his dirty white ones, I just broke a pair of shoe laces. Bingo! I got new shoelaces! Then the father said that I would need food for the road, so they took me to the store and bought me 2 bags of jerky, a loaf of bread, a thing of drink mix, and some apples.

Second ride. After I got dropped off, I walked about a mile, and got picked up. This guy, Uncle Marlin, was a retired guy who has had many jobs, spanning many fields. Now he owns a head shop up in Oregon with a friends son, just for extra income. He said he grew up by the train tracks, and once hopped a train, and got stuck in the middle of Nevada for a week. He told me to always bring at least 2 gallons of water, and enough food for at least 2 days. He took me all the way to Corning, CA about 45 minutes past Redding. He dropped me off at the truck stop.

At the truck stop, I ran into a guy named Hurricane (aka Micheal), who has been through 8 hurricanes. He told me where a good place to sleep would be. I slept in the middle of a field next to the truck stop, and no one owned the property, so no one would be mad.

No comments:

Post a Comment