Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Day 1 - Tuesday 09-29-09

I left my house at 10:31 am, with my backpack, and $50. In my backpack, I had some rolls, chilli, Top Ramen, and two waterbottles full of water. For clothes, packed I had two shirts, a pair of shorts, a pair of boxers, and 3 pairs of socks. I had enough wilderness survival stuff to last me pretty well. So I set off.

First Ride. I set off walking down Kuebler towards I-5, with a sign saying "I-5 SOUTH". I walked for 5 minutes with the sign out, and I got my first ride. She was headed north on I-5 but took me to the exit. We talked about how she used to get rides from truckers all over So Cal, it was pretty cool hearing her story for a short while.

Second ride. I sat at the exit for about 45 minutes when I got a ride. The guy was around my age, slightly older, say 22. He was going on and on about differnt conspiracies and I was sort of egging him on. But we talked all the way to Eugene. That is a pretty good ride.

Third ride. I walked from the gas station I was dropped off at, for about a half mile. As soon as I got to the ramp, I got a ride. I shouldn't have taken it, because they dropped me off at the worst spot ever, just a few miles down the road. It stated to rain, and I seeked shelter under an overpass. I eventually said "screw it" and started walking.

Fourth ride. I walked about 2 miles, and then got a ride to Cottage Grove. Which really isn't that far, but at least it was a better ramp... or So I thought.

Fifth ride. After waiting at the ramp for an hour and a half, I went to the northbound ramp. As soon as I got their, a guy picked me up. He was heading back to Eugene, and didn't want to go to his office right away. He asked me where I wanted to be dropped off at and I said U of O Campus. He took me right there.

I then walked around the campus looking for people I knew to see if I could get a place to sleep. I ran in to Ty Hendrix, and he said I could crash in his dorm room. I then called up Gregory Parker, and he picked me up, took me to his apartment, and we had free tacos for "Taco Tuesdays". Then got a ride to Ty's dorm, and talked to people on Skype.

No comments:

Post a Comment